Tuesday, April 17, 2007

PUSH

This past weekend I attended a performance of the original dance show PUSH that was written by my friend Siri Carlson. In the show the dance chronicles the struggles of a writer who is experiencing writers block. This is important to me as a future educator because it indicates many things that I need to be aware of in my own classroom, namely pushing students too far. There is always a line between placing a sufficient amount of pressure, and too much pressure for success on students. Rather than be the antagonist in the situation, I would prefer for my students to strive to do well out of a desire to learn, not necessarily out of a desire to meet some previously prescribed standards. In the end, the writer was successful in overcoming her struggle. This is significant because I feel that it represents the superiority of a students will and drive over that of the teacher.

No comments: