Thursday, April 19, 2007

Philharmonia and Cantorei Concert

I just returned from seeing the Philharmonia and Cantorei concert this evening. Although I am not involved in music at Luther, and am in fact completely lacking musical talent, I thoroughly enjoyed the show. Knowing very little about music, as I stated previously, gives me a narrow spectrum through which I can look at the benefits of music, but from an "outsiders" perspective, music seemed very important to the people who performed. Although personally I couldn't care less about whether or not music classes are offered in today's schools, I could see tonight that for some people music is more than just a hobby. I do not know any statistics about the benefits of taking music classes, but I do know that I could see the passion for music in tonight's performers. I also know that Luther would be a completely different place, not necessarily in a bad way, but nonetheless, removing the music program from Luther would drastically change the dynamic of the school. There is also the danger that by the time my children are in college there will be no music classes offered if they are all cut at lower levels. Music classes are a touchy subject in education today, but I think that for certain people music is necessary and vital and should be preserved for them.

No comments: